AFP won't investigate Bishop, page-5

1. 33,065 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 9
    Bronwyn Bishop's travel claim to face internal government investigation, AFP says

Updated 1 minute ago
    PHOTO: Bronwyn Bishop has said she believed the helicopter trip was within travel rules. (AAP: Alan Porritt)
    RELATED STORY: Labor asks AFP to investigate Bronwyn Bishop's chopper flight
    RELATED STORY: Bishop agrees to pay back $5,000 for taxpayer-funded chopper flight
    RELATED STORY: Bishop spends $5,000 on 80km chopper flight
    MAP: Australia
    The Australian Federal Police say an internal government investigation will be undertaken into an allegation House of Representatives Speaker Bronwyn Bishop misused her travel entitlements.
    Labor yesterday wrote to the AFP asking it to investigate the Speaker's use of a chartered helicopter to attend a Victorian Liberal Party fundraiser last year.
    Mrs Bishop said she believed the use was within travel rules but would repay the $5,227 cost to "avoid any doubt".
    The AFP has said it would refer Labor's allegation to the Department of Finance which would conduct an internal investigation.
    It could then ask for an explanation from Mrs Bishop or refer the matter back to the federal police.
    Last November Mrs Bishop chartered a helicopter for a 90-kilometre trip from Melbourne to a party fundraiser in Geelong.
    The cost of the trip was revealed in the Speaker's six-monthly report to the Finance Department.
    Her Liberal colleagues conceded the trip did not pass the "sniff test" and called on Mrs Bishop to provide an explanation.
    On Thursday Mrs Bishop released a short statement confirming she would pay for the flight herself.
    "I have today written to the Special Minister of State indicating I will reimburse the Department of Finance the costs associated with the use of my charter allowance on 5 November 2014," the statement said.
    "Whilst my understanding is that this travel was conducted within the rules, to avoid any doubt, I will reimburse the full costs."
    Parties and misusing entitlements

It should not just be office holders on the spot over entitlement misuse. If political parties benefit from the presence of an elected politician, they should be in the frame as well, writes Terry Barnes.
    The Speaker's office confirmed she would also pay an additional 25 per cent penalty underexpenses rules announced by the Abbott Government in 2013.
    The Opposition questioned Mrs Bishop's explanation and said she had refused to produce a copy of the form she signed confirming the trip to Geelong was for official business.
    Finance Minister Matthias Cormann acknowledged the controversy was distracting from the Government's message.
    Senator Cormann told Sky News that he could not say too much because the matter was now being investigated by the Finance Department.
    "I would much rather be talking to you about our plan to strengthen growth, create more jobs and to repair the budget," he said.
    "Of course I would much rather talk about the issues which are important to the Australian people."
    From other news sites:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-...obe-will-look-at-bishops-travel-claim/6630106

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.