SGH 0.00% 54.5¢ slater & gordon limited

AFR Street Talk article just out, page-92

1. 472 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 179
    Let's do some simple maths with conservative assumptions.

An interested party acquires $700m bank debt at 40 cents in dollar ($280m).

Completes debt for equity swap on $500m at 20 cents for 2,500m new shares, and keeps $200m paying 2.5 times the interest rates the banks were getting.

Total shares on issue 2,852m (352m old, 2,500m). Existing shareholders diluted to about 12%.

Now, heres the rub everyone seems to ignore, net assets go from -$125M to +$375m ($500m liability removed) after debt swapped for equity.

New asset backing on new shares is 13 cents, and cash for debt servicing reduced from $51m per year to $15m (on the remaining $200m debt).

The interest saving alone is 1.26 per share, or 6.3% return on the 20 cent share issue.

So, now we have a restructured company with reduced servicable debt and positive cashflow, with assured future.

What is the share value, merely the asset backing of 13 cents (ignoring the escrow $50m potential), or something greater given the restored band value?

Of course the newly issued shares represent an overhang and will force the shares to settle in the 20-25 cent range while the new holders liquidate realising their profits by selling into the general market to those that can run the figures and realise the long term potential of a stable S&G business.

You can play with the assumptions, and I have extensively in my spreadsheet, but however I run it, it is a good deal for someone to acquire at 40 cents in the dollar (only gets better if its cheaper).

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SGH (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.