BAL 0.00% $13.23 bellamy's australia limited

I just read "market Matters? info sent to me just now. their...

1. 3,294 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 421
    I just read "market Matters? info sent to me just now. their view is to await it to settle. a few short sharp rallies. That may bring the traders in higher and shorts are running at 12% shorts

What Mattered Today
    Another day another growth stock disappoints with downbeat guidance and gets taken to the cleaners – this time it was the Tasmania based organic baby food company, Bellamy’s (BAL) dropping more than ~40% early on before closing down $5.28 (-43.53%) at $6.85. In short, it’s a growth stock trading on a growth multiple (30x) and they now say that if trends in the first half continue into the second they won’t grow revenue.  
    Based on Bellamy’s current view of its end markets, revenue for 1HFY17 is anticipated to be approximately $120 million. While Bellamy's remains positive regarding its long term outlook, if current trends in its existing channels-to-market continue, 2HFY17 revenue will be similar to the first half
    It’s pretty much the same announcement made by Healthscope (HSO) a few weeks ago, however HSO based their call on just one quarter of data while Bellamy’s has had the benefit of a full half, which suggests they’ve got a better foundation for making it. The announcement touches on a few interesting points starting with FY17 is a transitional year underpinning the Companies long term growth profile – which could be loosely translated to ‘heightened risk of disappointment in the shorter term’. They also make reference to a temporary volume dislocation in China due to regulatory changeover which highlights the increased risk of having exposure to the vagaries of Chinese regulation. Bellamy’s have got a good business in Australia, but China is where the growth is and it’s that growth that was being used to justify the high multiple.

Bellamy’s (BAL) Daily Chart

Given the big drop in share price in early trade, we naturally tossed around whether or not it was worthwhile taking a position however as has been the case in recent times, the market typically takes a few days to digest negative shocks. Bellamy’s has also been a stock in the cross hairs of shorters with around 12% of the company (12m shares) currently short sold – so we might see some short sharp rallies as some cover however the news today simply gives those short the stock (and short the China theme) more reason to think they’re right. Anyway, the stock is now back on the radar and it’s one we are thinking about given the quality of their domestic operations, however there might be too many things working against it in the short term.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BAL (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.