Afternoon trading August 23

1. 14,786 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6
    Thanks @shovel40, @Fiji1 and morning crew.

Half-time wrap:

The share market's longest winning run in nine years came under threat this morning following a risk-off session on Wall Street.

The ASX 200 declined 12 points or 0.15% mid-session towards a possible first loss in 11 sessions.

Overnight weakness on commodity markets and a jump in bond yields helped drag the energy sector down 1.25%, materials 0.87% and utilities 1.31%. Strength in traditional defensives helped the index trim an initial 37-point slide.

US stocks retreated last night for only the second time in eleven sessions following tepid economic data and a revival of risk-aversion ahead of a speech tonight by the head of the US central bank. Traders worry that Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell may push back against market hopes for a double-sized rate cut next month. The S&P 500 eased 0.89%.

Personal trading: Been performing like a top striker all morning, making brilliant runs into the box, getting in great scoring positions, shouting "On me 'ead, governor!" only to receive zero passes from the market. None. I've touched the ball none times. It's good practice, but I'd rather make money. Seem to be doing more and more of my trading later in the day. If it keeps on like this I'll be able to start work at noon.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.