Thanks Oscar and morning crew. Half-time round-up: The share...

1. 14,532 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6
    Thanks Oscar and morning crew.

Half-time round-up:

The share market edged higher for a second day but struggled to retain its gains as declines in defensive stocks largely offset advances in miners.

The ASX 200 topped out early in the session at 6016 and by the halfway mark had pared its rise to eight points or 0.1% at 6006. The morning's leaders were metals & mining stocks +0.7%, energy +0.7%, telecoms +0.6% and materials +0.5%. Capping the gains were utilities -1.1%, gold -0.6% and consumer staples -0.5%.

Overnight, the S&P 500 in the US put on 0.32% amid expectations that a likely rate rise tomorrow night is confirmation that the economy is firming. This morning S&P 500 futures gained 1.5 points or 0.06%. China's Shanghai Composite shed 0.26%, Hong Kong's Hang Seng was flat and Japan's Nikkei ahead 0.09%.

Crude oil futures dipped three cents or 0.05% this morning to US$57.96 a barrel. Gold futures faded 90 cents or 0.07% to US$1,246 an ounce. The dollar was buying 75.23 US cents.

The XJO looks as weary as my kids in the last week of school term. Could use a break. Speaking of which, I won't be here next Monday - got to mind the little bleeders. Any volunteers please? I'll also be off for a week over New Year but can sort that nearer the time - unless anyone is champing at the bit. Trading: wins in LEG and QUR, loss in RTG.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.