Afternoon trading December 13

1. 14,356 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6
    Thanks @shovel40, @Fiji1, @Patterns and morning crew. Stay safe, you FNQers.

Half-time wrap:

The Santa Rally in Australian shares continued for a fourth session as China stimulus hopes and excitement over Chemist Warehouse's reverse listing helped offset declines in oil and gold.

The ASX 200 rallied 23 points or 0.32% by mid-session. The healthcare sector led with a rise of 1.25%, thanks in part to a 40% surge in Sigma Health as its shares traded for the first time since announcing plans to merge with larger rival Chemist Warehouse. CSL and Cochlear also rose.

Mining heavyweights BHP, Rio Tinto and Fortescue Metals were boosted by a nine-month high in iron ore as the Chinese government discussed stimulus plans for next year. Fortescue rallied 2.09% to a record.

Gold miners and energy producers declined after oil slumped to a six-month low and gold traded back below US$2,000 an ounce.

Personal trading: Best thing about this game is how quickly your fortunes can turn. I was on my knees yesterday. This morning I sell SIG near the open for almost three times what I paid a couple of years back (long-term portfolio), then make back almost two days of losses with an announcement-aided hold in MEU from Monday. Today, at least, it's a wonderful life. Tomorrow? Who knows.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.