Afternoon trading Feb 22

1. 14,356 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6
    Thanks Endless and morning crew.

Half-time round-up:

The ASX gave up early gains as traders weighed domestic earnings surprises against sliding US equity futures.

The ASX 200 rose as much as 29 points in early action before fading to a mid-session loss of 11 points or 0.2% at 5932. Gains in consumer discretionary stocks +1.1%, metals & mining +0.3% and IT +0.2% helped cushion declines in utilities -2.4%, energy -1.3% and industrials -0.5%.

This morning's earnings beats included NEC, WEB, KGN, FLT, QAN, OZL and RCR. Investors took a big stick to reports from BKL, IRE and BAL.

US stocks hit reverse late in the session after the Federal Reserve released the minutes from its last policy meeting. The S&P 500 closed 0.55% in the red as bond yields rallied to a four-year high near the 3% level on heightened expectations that the pace of rate increases will accelerate this year. S&P 500 futures were lately down 15 points or 0.56%.

Hong Kong's Hang Seng shed 1.27% and Japan's Nikkei 1.33%. China's Shanghai Composite returned from New Year holidays with a rise of 1.37%.

Crude oil futures skidded 61 cents or 1% this morning to US$61.07 a barrel. Gold futures shed $5.30 or 0.38% to US$1,327 an ounce. The dollar was buying 77.96 US cents.

Seems I was one of the few traders not on GSW this morning - well done to those who made good. I had wins in NCR, ANW and CRB but left a little too much on the table. I mean, it's good to leave some for the next guy/gal, but we're not running a charity here. I got mouths to feed. Memo to self: Treat your next trade like it's a Mackenzie trying to steal your cattle. No prisoners.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.