Thanks @shovel40, @Fiji1 and morning crew. Half-time wrap:...

1. 14,371 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6
    Thanks @shovel40, @Fiji1 and morning crew.

Half-time wrap:

Aussie shares dipped for a second day, mirroring overnight weakness on Wall Street ahead of inflation data tonight.

The ASX 200 eased three points or 0.04% as the curtain fell on another earnings season. Gains in consumer stocks and REITs helped offset mild losses among resource stocks, utilities and banks.

The market rewarded trading updates from this morning from Ramsay Health Care, Harvey Norman and Star Entertainment, but was less enthused by reports from Nickel Industries and Atlas Arteria.

The market pared its initial fall following mixed economic data. Capital expenditures increased twice as much as expected in the final three months of last year, but retail sales did not rebound as much as expected last month following a 2.1% decline in December.

US stocks logged modest falls overnight. The S&P 500 gave up 0.17% ahead of tonight's January Personal Consumption Expenditures price index, a key input for the Federal Reserve's decision-making on rates.

Personal trading: I've had the Midas touch all week, which experience has taught is generally the prelude to a major prang, thanks to overconfidence and the growing conviction that I am finally a trading genius who will never suffer a losing trade ever again. Reality bit today when I caught a falling knife - CMD - and lost several fingers. Hell of a way to sabotage a strong week. [Shakes head.]

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.