APT 0.00% $66.47 afterpay limited

Was just looking at the ABC news on line and there was a small...

1. 391 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 73
    Was just looking at the ABC news on line and there was a small article on 2020 stock expectations, in particular the WAAAX stocks.

Temperamental tech

Opinions were also divided on Australian technology companies — WiseTech Global, Appen, Afterpay, Altium and Xero.

"Tech companies are expensive simply because they offer a rare growth opportunity that most of us don't see across any other market segment," Ms Liu said.

"They performed well last year, but we think this year will be the year for materials, energy and cyclical sectors instead."

Mr Rodda thinks the tech sector will continue to rise simply because the market is flooded with "cheap cash" from aggressive RBA rate cuts.

"I think this momentum trade will continue in the tech space for a while … only effectively because of cheap money and reasonable enough conditions to justify taking risk."

Most bearish of the lot was Mr Sidney, who said: "I don't expect them to do too well."

"I suspect there will be weakness across that space purely based on valuations … I'd be surprised if they can continue to live up to those high expectations."

"If those numbers aren't up to expectations, they'll be sold off quite heavily."

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add APT (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.