Thanks to eagle888 for sharing that account of real life...

1. 6,998 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 21
    Thanks to eagle888 for sharing that account of real life experience at AC coalface that day.
    I have see a few things over years at odd times helping a couple of aged rels in a nearby town.One had an operation due which probably meant a week in hospital so a "week or more" respite care had to be arranged. I went along on the day this was to start. I was not impressed that for such a short stay they were expected to sign complex multi-page forms around end of life options - incl no-rescusitation etc. It was not enough to write - "at GP's discretion". They said "GP might not be available". I think they tried "at doctors discretion". I felt it was just badgering the rel who had operation to worry about. I was also shown more multi-page forms with dozens of questions about how the "alzheimer affected" person would respond to this that or the other situation. I pointed out that in my experience of this rellie with alz over years there was an everchanging rotation of moods and memories on a timescale of hours or days - a sort of kaleidoscope of memories from past decades - so their questionaire had little applicability. Talk about square pegs & round holes. When checking out the bedroom and shower toilet arrangement - lots of stainless steel - I told the staff I thought there should be TOILET signs on the door.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.