Aged Care, page-34

1. 7,012 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 22
    Thanks to eagle888 for sharing that account of real life experience at AC coalface that day.
    I have see a few things over years at odd times helping a couple of aged rels in a nearby town.One had an operation due which probably meant a week in hospital so a "week or more" respite care had to be arranged. I went along on the day this was to start. I was not impressed that for such a short stay they were expected to sign complex multi-page forms around end of life options - incl no-rescusitation etc. It was not enough to write - "at GP's discretion". They said "GP might not be available". I think they tried "at doctors discretion". I felt it was just badgering the rel who had operation to worry about. I was also shown more multi-page forms with dozens of questions about how the "alzheimer affected" person would respond to this that or the other situation. I pointed out that in my experience of this rellie with alz over years there was an everchanging rotation of moods and memories on a timescale of hours or days - a sort of kaleidoscope of memories from past decades - so their questionaire had little applicability. Talk about square pegs & round holes. When checking out the bedroom and shower toilet arrangement - lots of stainless steel - I told the staff I thought there should be TOILET signs on the door.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.