Aged Pension - Welfare or Entitlement?, page-332

1. 12,072 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1751
    I do not fully agree with what you have said. Once a child reaches the age of 16 years old and studying full time then they are allowed to be paid youth allowance. This is dependent of the families assets and income. IF either one is high then the child cannot access the youth allowance.

Your circumstances Your maximum fortnightly payment
    1 Single, no children, younger than 18, and live at your parent’s home $249.20
    2 Single, no children, younger than 18, and need to live away from your parent’s home to study, train or look for work $455.20
    3 Single, no children, 18 or older and live at parent’s home $299.80
    4 Single, no children, 18 or older and need to live away from parent’s home $455.20

Youth allowance can be paid up to the age of 24 years.
    You are obviously like myself where your assets and income are way above the cut-off point. Frankly if you don't meet the limits set then you are financially able to fund your childrens education. The only problem I see with this is for farmers who have large value assets as in the farm but may have a poor income. However Centrelink is of the opinion that you can always sell the asset.

Maybe its time that Australian parents realise the importance of education as Asians do, I remember once when in South Korea a family told me that the wife worked just to make sure that their daughter got a top education. In Australia we have the entitlement/welfare mentality where they think everybody has the right.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.