CDU 0.00% 23.5¢ cudeco limited

agm in 8 days --30 nov, page-2

1. 46,580 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8720
    CuDeco takes aim at delays
    STEVEN SCHUBERT
    22 Nov, 2010 12:00 AM

GOVERNMENT red tape is threatening the future of the mining industry, says an exploration company operating in the North West.

CuDeco executive chairman Wayne McRae said his company had recently withdrawn about 60 exploration applications because of the time involved in processing them.

"By the time we go and spend the money to do it and have to wait for a mining lease, in Queensland it's just not viable anymore," he said.

"Getting a block is easy, getting a permit to explore is easy but once you find something, that's when all the trouble starts."

Mr McRae said CuDeco's application to mine the Rocklands deposit near Cloncurry was submitted in 2006. He was still waiting for a response.

"To get a mining lease in Queensland now they're quoting five to seven years. I started mining 32 years ago and put in an application in Monday and had a lease on Friday."

Mr McRae said applications were being held up by the Department of Environment and Resource Management.

But State Member for Mount Isa Betty Kiernan said the approvals process was important.

"Every mining company and every mine goes through and environmental impact statement, and CuDeco are doing that," she said.

"Where there are issues we've made sure there's direct conversations with all parties."

Mrs Kiernan said the Government had a responsibility to protect the environment.

"We know the last mine to come on was Lady Annie which was built about six years ago. With all the best design and technology we had a failure at that mine."

She rejected suggestions the State Government's regulations were bad news for the mining industry.

"In the last month there's been 150 licenses granted."

Federal Member for Kennedy Bob Katter has criticised the State Government for its regulations.

"Today the bureaucrats in their air conditioned offices spend their time figuring out how to get promoted and make themselves more money," he said.

But Mrs Kiernan said Mr Katter's comments were unhelpful.

"These are the people who are trying to help. It's better to see how we can resolve the issue than making outlandish statements."

http://www.northweststar.com.au/news/local/news/general/cudeco-takes-aim-at-delays/2003905.aspx?src=rss

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CDU (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.