Minister for Economic Development
    Minister for Social Inclusion
    Minister for the Arts
    Minister for Sustainability and Climate Change
    Saturday 31st March 2007, Chile

News Release
    www.premier.sa.gov.au

RANN WILL LOBBY TO CHANGE URANIUM POLICY

Premier Mike Rann has vowed to step up his fight to change national Labor’s ‘no new mines’ policy
    on uranium at the ALP National Conference to be held later next month.
    Speaking from Chile, where he is touring major mine operations and associated infrastructure, Mr
    Rann said he would be lobbying all Conference delegates for a change to the policy, immediately on
    his return.
    “I have said for years now that national Labor’s 25-year old policy banning new uranium mines is
    outdated and illogical.
    “Under that policy, Australia’s exports of uranium have trebled, and Australia is today the world’s
    second largest uranium producer, so it has not stopped the expansion of the uranium industry.
    “The policy is a ban on increasing the number of mines, so it does not prevent the expansion of an
    existing uranium mine, such as Olympic Dam which contains about a third of the world’s known
    reserves of uranium.
    “The expansion of Olympic Dam would see its output of uranium go from 4,000 tonnes to 15,000 per
    annum - more than the entire production of Canada, currently the world’s biggest uranium producer.
    “Although the policy will not prevent the Olympic Dam expansion, it stands in the way of the further
    development of South Australia’s potential.
    “In February this year, there were 166 granted Mineral Exploration Licences for uranium and
    a further 105 applications for exploration for uranium.
    “Our state is recognised internationally for its uranium potential. In 2005-06, uranium exploration
    expenditure reached a 25-year high of just over $30 million.
    “There are about 60 companies and individuals that hold exploration licences for uranium, including
    Heathgate Resources, sxr Uranium1, PepinNini Minerals, Curnamona Energy and Marathon
    Resources, to name a few.
    “A major development in prospect is the joint venture between Quasar Resources and
    Alliance Resources for development of the Beverley 4 Mile project near Heathgate Resource’s
    Beverley uranium mine.
    “Drilling is taking place to ascertain the size and grade of the resource, with a scoping and prefeasibility
    study planned for the next 6 months.“Subject to respective Board approvals the joint venture is planning to submit a mining lease
    application for development of a major mine by the end of this year. This means jobs for South
    Australians.
    “But this mine could not proceed under the no new mines policy. I intend to support the
    development of this mine"

News Release
    www.premier.sa.gov.au

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AGS (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.