AGW Co2, pfft, page-75

1. 10,742 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 245
    as we covered in another thread, Greenland surface ice is reasonably stable apart from winter-summer variation

and in the same thread we identified that the large measured ice loss from Greenland was due to the calving rate as ice is lost from the front of glaciers into the sea

looking around this evening I find a bunch of papers that show that increased calving rate corresponds with rising sea temperatures and ocean currents bringing warmer sea temperatures to the ocean front of the Greenland glaciers

I can't see any relevance of the OP comments about Greeland surface temps. They are not contradicting the evidence of ice loss from Greenland, nor the impact of warming oceans on the Greenland calving rate ... nor contradicting the whole global warming science
    Seems to me ... just another denial generated half truth, red herring straw man

"Widespread glacier acceleration has been observed in Greenland in the past few years1, 2, 3, 4 associated with the thinning of the lower reaches of the glaciers as they terminate in the ocean5, 6, 7. These glaciers thin both at the surface, from warm air temperatures, and along their submerged faces in contact with warm ocean waters8."
    "we present measurements of ocean currents, temperature and salinity near the calving fronts of the Eqip Sermia, Kangilerngata Sermia, Sermeq Kujatdleq and Sermeq Avangnardleq glaciers in central West Greenland"
    "These rates of submarine melting are two orders of magnitude larger than surface melt rates, but comparable to rates of iceberg discharge."
    http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/v3/n3/full/ngeo765.html

"We combine ocean data, ice-front position and terminus velocity to investigate controls on frontal ablation. We find that frontal ablation is not dependent on ice dynamics, nor reduced by glacier surface freeze-up, but varies strongly with sub-surface water temperature. We conclude that calving proceeds by melt undercutting and ice-front collapse"
    http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2015/151009/ncomms9566/full/ncomms9566.html

Rignot, E., Koppes, M. & Velicogna, I. Rapid submarine melting of the calving faces of West Greenland glaciers. Nat. Geosci. 3, 187–191 (2010).

Straneo, F. et al. Rapid circulation of warm subtropical waters in a major glacial fjord in East Greenland. Nat. Geosci. 3, 182–186 (2010).

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.