air crash investigation, page-5

1. 4,287 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    gz, agreed, there were some unusual aspects in the pilots life, but nothing to suggest he was suicidal. I think that become irrelevant with the subsequent revelations.
    The thing is the lawyer conducting his own investigation located the actual valve from the plane after the NTSC/NTSB investigations had concluded, and microscopic examination revealed burrs on the spool that could cause it to stick and cause the rudder problem.
    The other two 737 crashes were in similar circumstances with both planes in uncontrolled dives into the deck. Also because of unexpected yawing that had been experienced on a number of 737's, all pilots were trained in a procedure on how to deal with the situation. A valve that momentarily jammed would cause such a yaw, if it didn't release, then the rudder would be forced over and stuck in one direction.
    I got the impression that there was disagreement between the US and Indonesian investigators but this was more to do with the US wanting the official report to conclude that the cause of the accident was pilot suicide. The Indonesians could not find any real evidence to prove that. Whilst the Indonesian investigators were probably unaware of the other crashes, the US NTSB must have been, surely they would have noticed the similarities.
    It left me concerned that either politics or business interests were controlling the US side of the investigation.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.