oh look mate i understand the reasons for the progressive tax....

1. 399 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 71
    oh look mate i understand the reasons for the progressive tax. what drives me mad is the rhetoric that making someone earning 175k pay the same % of income tax as someone making 85k is "grossly unfair".

stage 3 is called stage 3 since the 37c bracket was already adjusted in stage 2 to help middle income. people seem to have conveniently forgotten about stage 1 and 2 when they bemoan the s3 cuts.

i dont see how it cant be described as fair to tax income the same for all. i dont get extra services for dipping into the 45c bracket. the 30c bracket made a lot of sense imo, i would still be paying substantially more tax then those at the lower end, but in a justifiable way (imo of course)

if a cafe/mechanic/tradie/hairdresser charged extra for people on higher income, would you consider that fair? of course not, as they are receiving the same product.

I think its ok to acknowledge the tax set up is unfair by definition, but still defend it as necessary. s3 would have helped with fairness to a degree

cheers mate

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.