Dhuy...."I am also West Aussie and I challenge your view as do...

1. 2,086 Posts.
    Dhuy....

"I am also West Aussie and I challenge your view as do the majority of my peers who I regularly converse and debate this matter with in environmental science."

It comes as no surprise that your good self, and your associates would disagree. Nuclear power now shines like a light in the darkness to those in your field....the magic cure to rid the world of the destructive influence that fossil fuels inflict. So I would suggest that your view is far more bias and skewed than mine is.

That's not to say that I necessarily disagree....nuclear power is now a necessary evil. Of course, renewable energies would obviously be far more preferable, but the lack of investment and development in times past means that we need an interim solution until such technologies are developed to standards and levels capable of satisfying our needs.

BUT, where my issues with all this lie, and where the majority of West Australians have an issue, is what to do with the EXTREMELY hazardous and toxic by-product, that many are saying, including our PM, we must accept back if we choose to mine uranium.

CLEARLY the majority of West Australians do not want nuclear waste stored here....it has been proposed in the past, and it was met by a huge public outcry. If mining uranium means that we must accept the waste back, then the minimal financial benefit, particularly to this state, does not offset the risks that storing such waste presents....both in environmental terms, and as a security risk. NO ONE has figured out yet how to safely and effectively store such waste.

So the solution is quite simple....we don't mine it.....and as I've previously posted, the financial benefit to this state is extremely minimal, particularly when stacked against our other exports.

And let's not forget, that there is more than enough uranium globally to satisfy world demand without WA....by the time we would begin to extract it, many others around the world would have already beat us to it, alleviating supply issues, killing the current high spot prices, and inevitably bursting this U bubble.

More than enough reasons not to mine, and very few to justify doing so.

P.S. Smiler....it makes no difference on the subject matter for you....as long as the post is anti-labour, you'll agree.

By the way......got uranium yet??

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.