Albo / Afghanistan, page-54

1. 10,909 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1949
    Yes, fair points, Pinto. I can't say that I'm overly conversant with Vietnam, having never been there, but I'm probably a similar age to you, so know what went down during that war and its culmination - and yes a forgiving bunch, which we didn't deserve. Of the Taliban though I know a great deal, given I have a 36 year history with the Pashtuns, which make up the majority of the Taliban forces - although I point out here that not all Pashtuns are the Taliban; of whom are regarded by the average Pashtun as much like the American far-right (one hell of a paradox). That aside, you are right about the Pashtuns not being the forgiving kind. In fact, their code of honour (the Pukhtunwali) dictates that if a family member is killed, then the death must be avenged; even if it takes a hundred years or perpetuity, which includes exacting said vengeance on any family member or race of the murderer. In the latter case any Australian, Englishman or American will do. Even so, generally speaking, this form of retribution does not extend beyond family matters. Even before and after 911 when I was in deep in the tribal belt I was always surrounded by well armed Pashtun friends who feared that some Pashtun of whom might have had a relative killed in the Great Game by the English 100 years before or by current Oz/English coalition forces might get wind of my identity and take a pot-shot.

I did however shuddered when the video of that Oz SAS idiot came out along with other alleged Oz atrocities, because, family retribution matters aside, the Taliban element of the Pashtuns might just warp/extend the honour code to include any Australian they can get their hands on - well in to the future.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.