thanks for that ------- I thought as much - I don't know a lot...

1. 81,110 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75

thanks for that ------- I thought as much - I don't know a lot about the code of honour - I do know that it's a serious thing. I''ve not spent any time in Afghanistan - ---------------- technically - I have been there ----- I put one foot in there - it may have been two - I can't remember - I'm not even sure where it was - either Uzbekistan - most likely - or Turkmenistan. I was in Samarkand - so - that's getting pretty close to the border - so, it might have been there somewhere. Perhaps near Termez - but, I can't remember if I went there or not. Anyway, I don't think my few seconds standing in Afghanistan qualifies me for much.
    I found the whole place wonderous - but, I sure got a different feeling about the people than I got from Vietnamese - they are exceptional - I've no idea why.
    After our military exploits there in the last decades - I do feel that carrying an Aussie flag and passport is certainly not the peaceful ticket of friendliness and security that it once was ------- of course - for the vast majority - it is - but, we have made enough enemies now for there to come a time when one is bound to be seen and not in the light of which we are almost always seen by others.
    It's a great shame and it's a tragedy that we've allowed ourselves to get this problem because of a profit making exercise by americans.
    My father told me of being in Egypt and the desert tribes would visit the camps during the night - he said you never heard them, never felt them - but, in the morning, you'd see the sand marked.
    They would feel around your neck for the rising sun - if they didn't find it - they cut your throat. If they did find it - they left you alone as a friend. Of course they are completely different people - but, just as serious.
    In Uzbekistan, I got the sense of great friendship and loyalty. Turkmenistan - well, one could not possibly feel comfortable there and Kyrgyzstan- well, mostly I felt ok, stunning country in parts - but, boy, was I on edge in some of the city areas with the mafia mobs --- geesus - they take things seriously there.
    I've no idea how westerners survived in Afghanistan in the last years - would have been an amazing place to visit earlier I assume. One day I might go back to Central Asia - it's amazing. But - it's not on the list atm. I'd probably stick to Uzbekistan if I do.
    ATM, I'll just continue the 'slut in training in France gig' - that'll do for a while - with the occasional excursion to maybe Germany, Switzerland and a shifty look at a bit of Italy, although if something hot sizzles by and invites me to Spain - I'd think about it.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.