''I think you will find that democracy and elections are part of...

1. 81,157 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    ''I think you will find that democracy and elections are part of the same deal. It's the political funding/lobbying that throws the democracy train off the tracks.''

I agree ---------------- the point is that we wouldn't have political funding and lobbying if we didn't have elections

we 'might' - but, if we didn't have the incentive to get people who we want in power 'elected' - then, that part of the equation disappears

no doubt that money and business would want to 'buy' influence and certainly get access to decision makers - even if we didn't have elections - but, that could be banned - straight up banned - and any transgressions punished by mandatory jail terms and total loss of business - forfeit the entire business - shut down and after very very long jail terms - business owners, all - yes ALL directors and executives to be never allowed in business again.
    For government representatives entertaining any transgressions - they also get hefty mandatory jail terms and total loss of reimbursement for service

dropping off the election system for sortition - drops out the narcissists, egotists and nut jobs --------- just pick by raffle citizens ---------- filter out the particularly stupid and ignorant and simple by some pretty basic testing -

Form government from the group selected - AND look after them - people will do their duty, but are paid well for it - they are guaranteed where possible re-entry into their old lives, old jobs etc - if that's not possible, then they are fatly compensated for any loss

it's one of the only ways I can think of to give democracy a really fair go - government by the people, for the people, of the people

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.