''after almost a decade of Coalition governments in Canberra...

1. 83,976 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75

''after almost a decade of Coalition governments in Canberra Australian business became synonymous with real wage cuts, wages theft, superannuation theft, exploitation of vulnerable workers, no right to union representation, no sick leave and even work on demand then go home.''

it's been much longer than a decade -- in my lifetime, I've seen business who used to sack workers who had been with them for almost 20 years (I think it was 20 years) - within weeks of them qualifying for long service leave

that was when I was a kid. As a young adult, I saw the same kind of shit - with corporations sacking 60 year old men who had worked for the company for 20 and 30 or so years - where their immediate bosses were happy with them - but, corporate made the decisions - just uncaring bastards.
    I've seen kids in workplaces abused by major corporations in franchises, where the kids were injured on the job and weren't allowed to apply for compo etc. - a litany of abuse.
    Wage theft now - rife. Sexual abuse of foreign workers - rife.

It may be getting worse in most countries - but, some countries have done it better at times. Oz seems to get better in some ways and goes way backward whenever it can get away with it ---------
    in Oz, the casualisation of the workplace IMO is an absolute atrocity - it hides a raft of abuse, that's unseen because of the way casual employment works

France has had some wonderful reforms - indeed out of France prior to and around WW2 came some of the biggest ideas that have been accepted in many nations that benefit whole societies - and those changes came from the Communist party

But France, whilst being miles in front of Oz for years - is sliding backwards.

Interestingly, some wacko which I didn't reply to a couple of days told me with great glee how France was lower down the productivity scale than Australia was

wow ---------- what a display of a total lack of understanding of national cultures ----------- I just didn't bother with such idiocy - I figured if they didn't grasp something as simple as this before opening their mouth and showing their lack of understanding - then, nothing I could say would educate them

''some nations do prioritize lifestyle and well-being over maximizing productivity. ''

it is very very true of France, it would be also true of Italy

amazingly - goofworld is oblivious to the concept. It is intriguing how some can come to France and Italy and similar and LOVE the places-

yet, they don't know what makes them lovable. Amazing really.

worth a read of the whole thing - fyi

Some nations do prioritize lifestyle and well-being over maximizing productivity. This approach often involves balancing economic growth with policies that enhance the quality of life for citizens. Here are some key points on this topic:
    1. **Trade-offs Between Productivity and Well-being**:

- The International Labour Organization (ILO) highlights that while productivity growth is crucial for long-term improvements in living standards, there is also a significant link between well-being and productivity. Policies that enhance well-being, such as better health, job security, and social capital, can positively impact productivity. Conversely, high levels of stress and poor well-being can negatively affect productivity[2][3].
    2. **Examples of Policy Approaches**:

- Some countries implement policies that may not maximize productivity but aim to improve overall well-being. For instance, European countries often emphasize work-life balance, social security, and environmental sustainability, which can sometimes lead to lower productivity growth compared to more economically aggressive nations like the United States[4].
    3. **Economic and Social Policies**:

- The World Bank discusses how countries can support economic growth while improving living standards through targeted policies. These include empowering local governments, improving service delivery, and investing in infrastructure. Such policies aim to reduce regional disparities and ensure that economic benefits are widely shared, even if it means sacrificing some level of productivity[4].
    4. **Productivity and Happiness**:

- The "happy worker" hypothesis suggests that higher job satisfaction can lead to increased productivity. Therefore, some nations focus on creating a positive work environment and ensuring job satisfaction, which may involve shorter working hours, better work conditions, and comprehensive social benefits[2][3].
    In summary, while productivity is essential for economic growth, some nations choose to balance it with policies that enhance the well-being and quality of life of their citizens. This approach recognizes that well-being can also contribute to sustainable productivity in the long run.

[1] https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-...-associated-vinod-menon-x4gpc?trk=public_post
    [2] https://www.ilo.org/media/375256/download
    [3] https://webapps.ilo.org/static/english/intserv/working-papers/wp056/index.html
    [4] https://blogs.worldbank.org/en/lati...rowth-and-improve-living-standards-across-all
    [5] https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/040615/why-productivity-important-concept-economics.asp

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.