VYS 5.81% 40.5¢ vysarn limited

This is the full article from the link that i started this post...

1. 6 Posts.
    This is the full article from the link that i started this post with.
    For some reason everyone seemed to focus only on point 9 which speaks of possible competition,(By the way Alumasel are of on concern).
    Howeverwe need to do is focus on the other 8 points which voices concern over existing slag landfills.

Aluminium Dross & Saltcake

What is aluminum dross?Aluminum dross is a waste product produced when refining aluminum. It consists of metal, salts oxides, and other non metallic substances. Dross is classified as either black or white dross. Black (or dry) dross has a lower metal content and higher amounts of oxides and salts. It tends to be in granular, like sand. White (or wet) dross has an extremely high metal content and smaller amounts of oxides and salts. It tends to form into large clumps or blocks.

What is saltcake?

Saltcake (or salt slag) is a hazardous waste produced in a rotary furnace where aluminium waste is melted under a layer of salt. It is basically salt combined with aluminum dross.

Why are dross & saltcake a concern?

Saltcake contains contaminants like oxides, carbides and sulphides as well as metallic aluminium which is entrapped in the salt and traces of pollutants polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans (PCDD and PCDF).

In contact with water it emits flammable gases such as acetylene (which in turn can cause explosions), and is liable to give off toxic gases, such as ammonia, in dangerous quantities.

Sources:
    Australian Government � Department of the Environment and Water Resources
    Characterizing the Physical and Chemical Properties of Aluminum Dross � Article by O. Manfred, W. Huth, and I. Bohlinger (PDF format)

9 Comments
    9 responses so far ↓

1 Debera Bell-Beam // Oct 22, 2008 at 9:29 am

I live in Lewis County, a rural county in Tennessee. Our county has two wineries, agriculture and livestock, a program towards tourism and a high water table. Two companies are trying to establish an aluminum landfill. They tried and failed in a larger, neighboring county. Some of us are gahering to prevent it in Lewis County. Any help you might provide would be great. This page is wonderful as a first step in educating others. We have a poor economic base and high unemployment. I am the assistant public defender, and there are three other lawyers who want to help. We are open to any ideas you might have to help us. Thank you.

2 Michael Landis // Nov 11, 2008 at 1:07 pm

A few years ago I purchased a number of acres on Duchess Lane, Lewis County, TN. I am a 100% disable veteran and former Master Naturalist in the state of Florida. My wife and I have intended to build a retirement home on our property and have a wonderful area for our grandchildren to retreat. I have already started research on the adverse outcomes of such a site. Thank you.

3 sandra ross // Jan 19, 2009 at 5:19 pm

Dear Mrs. Bean, I am a California Professional Geologist, environmental consultant. My mother lives in Lewis County, TN near this area. I am looking for any information on this issue so that I can assist my mother and her neighbors.

Sincerely,
    Sandra Ross, P.G.

4 Debbie Gordon // May 29, 2009 at 8:01 am

I live in Ontario Canada and we have an abandoned aluminum smleter. Tons an dtons have sat on the edge of a wetland for 20 years slowly ligrating towards the rivr.

The owner has abandoned the dross and we ar eleft wiht a $3.9 mess to cleanup and no way or funds to do it.

5 Jodi Mathy // Dec 31, 2009 at 11:08 am

There was an explosion Tuesday when a fire crew attempted to put out a fire that was near some dross. One of the firefighters was killed. I have found out since that time that the dross is recyclable. This would be an alternative to a landfill.

6 Dave McQuiggin // Nov 6, 2010 at 6:43 am

To Debbie Gordon I�m in Ontario Canada and would like to get more informaiton on the abondoned aluminum smelter.

7 Neecie Price // Nov 25, 2010 at 12:27 am

There is a market for the dross. There is interest in the public being able to capture hydrogen in large quantities to heat homes, as alternative fuel and possibly electricity independence.

8 Matt Melton // Dec 22, 2010 at 3:10 pm

An aluminum dross landfill has been operating in the city limits of Camden, TN. A minor modification changed the landfill from a tire and construction waste site to an aluminum dross site without any real public awareness. The site rests in very close proximity to residential neighborhoods and borders wetland and large creeks ultimately leading to the TN River. Ammonia has already been an issue for all the residents nearby, although the site claims air quality testing suggests otherwise. This landfill was basis for rejection by the E.P.A. of a proposal to construct government housing on a city lot near the landfill. It was rejected �due to the close proximity to a toxic landfill.� Plans continue, however, to expand the landfill despite locals� concerns.

9 Dave McQuiggin // Jan 8, 2011 at 8:42 am

Jodi, you are correct that saltcake and dross can be recycled. There is a company starting in Morristown TN called Alumasal, LLC. They have new technology to keep all components out of a landfill.

Alumasal, LLC. Mike Gill, President, Tel: (423) 972-7370

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add VYS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
40.5¢
Change
-0.025(5.81%)
Mkt cap ! $170.8M
Open High Low Value Volume
42.5¢ 42.5¢ 40.5¢ $112.4K 272.5K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 28749 40.5¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
41.0¢ 50000 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 04/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
VYS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.