QAN 1.30% $6.09 qantas airways limited

all hail the god - alan joyce

1. 172 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 79
    Due to the latest news, I'm now a Qantas shareholder as I have the belief that Qantas has the one gutsiest CEO's and management I've ever seen - Alan Joyce. I have my admiration to you Alan for what you’ve done.

It's good news for all - shareholders and customers that we're now going into arbitration. This means for the next 4 years, the unions can't take industrial action meaning no disruption to the business. It's the best result that could happen after this past year of disruptions caused by the unions. Business will return to normal for the next 4 years while the arbitration process goes on. This is less damaging than letting the unions having it their way. And who knows which government will be elected by then? If the Liberals are back, there is a higher chance Qantas will win out against the unions.

To all those union lovers, Qantas staff sympathisers and naive shareholders who want Alan Joyce to resign, keep dreaming. It ain't gonna happen.

I like to remind people that Qantas is a business. Its purpose is to make money. It ain't a charity. Qantas' primary goal is to make money for us shareholders (as well as getting our customers from A to B) as we invest our hard earned money into it. Sure Qantas made $249million in profit last year and may seem like a lot to everyone, but on what rate of return from its assets? Total assets in Qantas is worth $20billion. So that means profit is only 1.25%. I don’t think anyone is entitled to say that the profits are obscene as it’s way below the mark and as a shareholder, I’d be more p***ed than the staff of Qantas. 1.25% is less than what you’d get at the bank, but this is how business works - fork out money to create business, jobs, services, and improve the economy. From that, the business and its shareholders and management ought to be rewarded for the risks it takes.

As a Qantas Platinum Frequent Flyer, I've been flying with Qantas for so many years and I’ve been watching their decline. However, we do know that Qantas have invested in new planes which will turn the tides in its business - a decision made by Alan Joyce and his board, which may work out for the future.

Do I believe their staff deserve a payrise? No. I'm always faced with delays, delays and delays, and poor quality service. Unfortunately, I have to continue flying with Qantas as it’s my company’s airline of choice.

The pilots, engineers and baggage handlers of Qantas have to remember they are just EMPLOYEES and Qantas are their EMPLOYERS. Employees are suppose to do the job they are paid for by their employer. If employees ain't happy with their pay, then they should go somewhere else.

Sure it's the employees that make the company as they are the heart beat to the operations. But when you got sub-standard quality service, non-punctual flight schedules and poor communications about it, who's to blame? Alan Joyce? The board? No. It's the actual staff running the show who should be exercising their duty of care and service (which they are meant to be paid for by the way) to their customers.

Look at Singapore Airlines, Emirates, Cathay Pacific and other premium airlines. Their quality of service and reliability is so much higher than Qantas that Qantas is nowhere in their league. The other premium airline staff sure get lower pay, but at least they provide the extra quality in service.

If Qantas staff feel they ought to paid more, then where is quality treatment and respect towards customers as with other airlines? Instead the staff I've dealt with from Qantas are rude and lack responsibility. It's no worse than flying with a budget airline.

If Qantas staff are worried about job security, then how about doing the job right? Good service will always come with a reward. Poor service won't and I totally understand why Qantas wants to move to Asia because people their have better work ethic.

If pilots want pay rises then they should get to their destinations on time. Delays ain’t gonna help their cause. As a customer, I want punctual arrivals and departures. As a boss, I want performance to get our customers from point A to point B in the scheduled times

If engineers want pay rises, then get the planes consistently flying! Twice this year I’ve had my plane take off and then turn back because of engine troubles. As an engineer in a similar profession, I can say that good maintenance practices will reduce the delays and breakdowns suffered.

If baggage staff want pay rises, then they should quit breaking my stuff! In 3 flights in the past year, I’ve had to report damage to my baggage. As a passenger, it’s very annoying and makes me think twice about flying with Qantas. As a boss, it means forking out the company’s money to compensate passengers.

If Qantas staff do the job right, they’d deserve the payrises. For now, they deserve s*** all.

So to all you Qantas staff who are p***ed off with shareholders reaping the profits and benefits, why don't you become a shareholder too? It ain't difficult!

Anyway, I’m flying with Qantas tomorrow. So lets hope they don’t crash my plane. Please do the job right.

All I can is, good job Alan. Keep up the good work! Don't let those unions win.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add QAN (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$6.09
Change
-0.080(1.30%)
Mkt cap ! $9.923B
Open High Low Value Volume
$6.19 $6.19 $6.09 $27.74M 4.524M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
10 85805 $6.09

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$6.11 5000 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 18/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
QAN (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.