AFG 2.23% $1.38 australian finance group ltd

Allco Net Assets Est for 30 Jun 2008Thanks for Bloomberg...

1. 64 Posts.
    Allco Net Assets Est for 30 Jun 2008

Thanks for Bloomberg article.
    However note Allco Announcement 1 May 08 below warns that loss may be “IN EXCESS of $1.5 billion.” (ie possibly more than the $1.5 billion stated in article)

This is my reading of Allco net asset / debt situation.

Figure from half year report for 6 months to 31 Dec 2007 has total liabilities of $6,900M.
    Assuming that report to be fair, I estimate net assets at 30 Jun 2008 to be $855M. (some calcs below)

Compare with current market capitalisation of about $180M, makes it, on that basis, a very cheap share.

A positive indication:-
    I also hold AXQ (paid about 2x current sp - seemed like a good idea time).
    It is subject to a fairly high level of independent scrutiny. Its NTA had been trending down, but the 30 Apr NTA was a recovery from 58c to 64c.
    To the extent that this improvement can be taken to be a sign that Allco management decisions have fundamentally been sound, I take it as a good omen. (I hope this is not just wishful thinking).

Notes to above

1) 1 May 2008
    Update on senior debt facilities and business restructuring plan

para 4 pg 1 states

This reduces Allco's total outstanding obligations under its senior debt facilities to
    $946.5 million.

pare 1 or pg 2 :-

Whilst the Board is continuing to assess the appropriate carrying values of these items, it can
    advise that the write-down of goodwill and impairment of the management rights will give rise to a
    significant loss. These write-downs and impairments, together with anticipated restructuring costs
    and the potential sale of assets at less than carrying values, may result in a loss in excess of $1.5
    billion for the company for the year ending 30 June 2008.

2) Half Year report for 6 Months to 31 Dec 2007, dated
    Pg 22 Has
    Intangible Assets $1,477M
    Total Assets $9,308M
    Interest bearing loans and borrowings $6,460M
    Total Liabilities $6,900M
    Net Assets $2,408M

Pg 23 shows Allco holdings in the 3 Rubicon Prp trusts at combined market value of $46M, book value $102M.
    Anns dated 11 March 2008 have all Rubicon holdings sold (I understand due to margin calls). I believe this means additional realized loss of about $76M (difference between market and book values).
    Add that to total write-down of Intangible Assets gives :-
    (Assume other operations are break-even)
    Total loss for 6 months of $1,553M
    That would leave Net Assets of $855M
    Net Debt (less asset sales) of $6,900M
    Gearing: Debt V Equity: 8:1

Obviously, gearing should be less if asset sales are at least book value.

Any comments on above, guys? Does anybody have more up to date figures?

I hold AFGHA not AFG

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AFG (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.