AKE 0.00% $9.83 allkem limited

You completely missed my point. It doesn't matter how wonderful...

1. 166 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 267
    You completely missed my point. It doesn't matter how wonderful Teslas are, the majority of consumers just care about the price. Until that mass-produced economy electric car hits the scene, the race isn't won. And no one is remotely close to that goal yet. The Model 3 is way, way too expensive to compete in the economy segment. They're selling well because they're winning the performance sedan market, not the economy market. Naturally most of us here on an investing forum are wealthier than the average and can justify a cost like that, but most people straight up can't afford it no matter how nice it is. The average working class joe just doesn't have the budget to pay 3 times the price upfront to save in fuel costs after 15 years. Hybrids have had the same "pay more upfront for ongoing cheaper running costs" for ages and yet they didn't defeat the ICE economy cars. The masses want cheap. Teslas aren't cheap. No electric cars are cheap... yet.

So on one side we have existing manufacturers converting their current cheap lineups to electric, or Tesla taking their premium electrics and getting all the required production, supply chain, reliability and support needed to be cheaper. Who wins? Probably everyone, there will be enough room in the market for many. Who gets there first? Whomever can make their own cheap batteries. Is that Tesla with their battery factories on the way, or maybe Toyota with their solid state battery ambitions. I think Toyota, I don't think li-ion will ever cut it and the kind of fundamental technological change that solid-state will bring will be required to make that final step to a battery for the masses... but I'm not betting any money on that. Because I don't have to, I can bet on lithium and win either way.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AKE (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.