Hi Tarvoid ,Let me just say I hated the concept of the NDIS when...

1. 6,791 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 292
    Hi Tarvoid ,
    Let me just say I hated the concept of the NDIS when it was proposed because it took the provision of services that had traditionally been provided quite well by government and non-profits , and allowed the private sector to take the lion's share.
    The results , widespread waste ,was inevitable.
    Some things just aren't suited to capitalism

However , back to CGT.
    My reasons for wanting the change in the CGT are not really related to short term revenue considerations.
    The cgt concessions distort investment flows.
    They favour investment in asset speculation rather than productive investment .

Taxation of dollars earned above the inflation rate as normal income is both fair better for the economy.

A quick example .

I can invest 1 million in a business , it makes money , 100k per year , and I am taxed at my marginal rate , 60k left.
    I can invest in a building , 5% rental return , 5% capital growth .
    Using same tax rates as above , 70k left .

And before some idiot starts bleating about ''we pay too much tax'' , the tax rate isn't that important in the above example.
    CGT which isn't related to ''real '' dollar gains is by definition a distortion at any tax rate.
    So , if there is reform , I dont want to see a halving of the concession to 25%, I want a cpi discount .
    cheers

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.