MKY mky resources ltd

alp meet tomorrow, page-12

1. 125 Posts.
    Yes Kromey1,
    Beattie has also stated alot of things. Like he will not oppose you mining if it doesn't affect the coal industry, and the same Qld coal industry now openly supports uranium mining and has infact been lobbying the state gov for change.

QRC (formally the Queensland Coal Producers Assoc) recently stated;
    "the QRC represents every coal producing company in Queensland- including thermal coal miners-and none of them have an issue with the mining of Queensland Uranium."
    In fact their stated policy is; "to convince the Queensland Government to rescind its current prohibition on uranium mining".

This is the same group that Beattie has claimed time and time again that he is trying to protect by keeping the ban. Hmm his reasoning is starting to look weak.

How powerful is the QRC? Well their annual return to the Qld government in fees, taxes etc is equal to the same amount in payroll taxes, fees etc as all other Qld business' put together.

They do have some powerful lobying power.

Now politically;

Labor also knows they'll have to give Rudd a positive victory not a half victory, to show he is a strong leader.

A victory will only come as stated in several papers today;
    "When they do that, they need to ensure that that policy binds state premiers like Peter Beattie and Alan Carpenter to expand the uranium mining in their states."

Beattie has said;
    "I think he's going to win the election and I'm not going to say anything that'll be disruptive to it (his efforts)".

"If the party decides, nationally, there will be a national policy – that is, that uranium mining will be available to companies who apply across Australia – then all states are bound by it,"

And as reported in the AGE today;
    "If Beattie holds out through the crucible of the national conference then he's a real problem for Rudd. Queensland is a key state. Rudd's state. There are valuable uranium deposits. Mining companies want them developed. It would be ironic in the extreme if the Queenslander Rudd had to cop a poke in the eye from was Beattie, to whom he is personally close. Senior players in Canberra can't quite work out what the Premier is up to, and hope whatever it is he'll get over it."

Again if there is the perception of the above Beattie has stated;
    "I think he's going to win the election and I'm not going to say anything that'll be disruptive to it (his efforts)".

Hmmm its all politics but its about making Rudd look stronger then he is and nothing short of a national lifting of the ban for all states will see him looks strong (especially when QLD is Rudd's state).

Cheers
    Kelp.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MKY (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.