I also spent many months dazed and confused.i subscribed to a...

1. 2,300 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 90
    I also spent many months dazed and confused.

i subscribed to a tipping service but I found the tips were ambiguous and low conviction, with "on the other hand" and "if it doesn't rise may drift or fall" and similar useless prose.

I reasoned that by writing this way they can claim a higher success ratio.simcenin hindsight all is clear.

i found the badgering to renew quite tiresome. A new rep would be assigned to my account from time to time. These guys do not take no for an answer so you have to hangup on some.

i decided to construct my own portfolio, of companies I had dealt with, and try to listen in on their analyst briefings.

the analysts provide insights I would not think of, and I find going to AGMs useful and enjoyable as you can meet the management and directors, a few AGM regulars, active investors like us and have a sandwich and cup of tea in addition to your dividends.

The CSR/environmental lobby is scarily active and by asking a question of your own you can bring some balance bto proceedings. One assumes the activists hold one share and their interests are in pushing their political barrow, not the interests of shareholders.

id you understand the business and know some of the directors it helps withstand the ebb and flow of good and bad news so you won't get shaken in or out in reactive fashion.

You must develop a range of sources, not depend only on FinReview and company website and formula reports.

dont expect to get rich and you might at least avoid impoverishment.
    if you can do 4% yield over long haul you've done well.

Noone knows the future, but may claim to.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.