YOJ 0.00% 6.2¢ yojee limited

The following is a LNKD blog post penned by ours truly Ed Clarke...

1. 294 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 90
    The following is a LNKD blog post penned by ours truly Ed Clarke back in June 2017. Some of you may have already read it. I just finished reading it for the first time and will be reading it again and again for many months to come. Ed is a deep thinker. Ed is a visionary. Ed will be legendary. Ed will make sure to create value for YOJ shareholders. If you ever wanted any indication as to whether Ed Clarke & Co are the real deal, the message in this blog post is all you need.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/do-investors-pay-you-growth-hack-startups-v-business-ed-clarke/
    Do Investors pay you to growth hack? Startups V Business.

• Published on Published onJune 16, 2017

Ed Clarke
    Co-Founder & Managing Director at Yojee

I got an email this week from someone looking for a job, stating they’d been ‘growth hacking’ at their previous company and were interested in joining our business. If I’m honest with myself, it did irritate me. When I thought about why I realised that it was the nature in which people see the concept of ‘startups’, and think it’s one big game of tricks and risky innovation separate to the real world of fundamentals and industry experience.

Yojee is the third company I’ve taken from pre-product to market. The two companies before this now employ around 160 people, are operating in South East Asia, Australia, Japan and the US and I’m going to admit something – I don’t know what ‘growth hacking’ is. Any research I have done just explains a process that all accomplished marketers follow to grow a real business. The picture above describes a 'growth hacking funnel', nothing in that picture is groundbreaking enough to need a buzzword name like it's a new invention right?

My logistics technology company has 80+ years of supply-chain wide experience in-house, world leading technologists, solid and reliable young business people whom I hired because I trust them and they think the right way, and an over-arching passion and enthusiasm for what we do. None of them know what growth hacking is either.

I’m not looking for buzzwords, tricks and hacks, to me, new businesses are about solid foundations, fundamentals and de-risking the innovation process. My sales team has no sales people; they are industry experts that walk into an office and know the business they are walking into as well as its owners, they get business because they are trusted – technology is not everything.

Recently, I set up a daily product meeting where my ‘salespeople’ sit with my technology team and discuss and define every feature and button down to the last detail. The meetings can be from 5min to 1 hour depending on the day and what they want to discuss, but what I’ve seen now that this is where the true innovation happens, it’s just an idea until it’s been tested and disputed between great minds with relevant experience. It reminds us that innovation is not innovation without adoption…and that is why there are no tricks here. If you cannot develop with the same hands and minds that sit on the customer side and utilise the technology you are increasing the risk of the survival and growth of your new product exponentially
    I sit in on the meetings often, I challenge the technology team to listen harder to what our industry expert ‘sales people’ want, because they know how the product needs to work and what their real world customer want as they meet them every day. I then challenge the experts to be more innovative, as breaking out from “how we’ve always done it” is seriously hard work.

But over time we have used ‘design thinking’ to make a technology so progressive that we are attracting marquee customers who are calling us and ASK US for a meeting. Some of these companies are number one in the world or their country in their industries and we always surprise them with our understanding of them and the industry when we meet, this always gets us a second meeting.

If you build with the user in mind and the real-world fuels innovation not the hopes of some young minds with laptops trying to ‘disrupt’ an industry, you don’t need to hack. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, but I when I take investor money I’m always thinking how to attack from a defendable position, and this means building a great business with a tested and sustainable market-leading, industry useable product that generates sustainable revenue. This is the platform to launch off, take risks from and change an industry. If you don’t do that first, you’re exposing your investors to huge risk and have a 9/10 chance of being out of a job in short period with angry investors hounding you.

Spare me the ‘hacking’, If you want to join my company show me you understand the fundamentals and will utilise experts to challenge your initial ideas before implementing innovation. I do also want to know that you do take risks though and back yourself to go against history if you have gathered all the information and still think you are right. It’s important to understand your industry, but your industry is usually not performing at an efficiency that’s close to what, with great technology one could consider as ‘optimal’…and there at the marriage of technology leadership and industry understanding lies the billion dollar opportunity.

As my triathlon coach says “this is not a honeymoon”. You may have noticed I have not described us as a startup in this article, because businesses should not try and excel at being cool in the shared office community but focus on the hard work and great communication and product delivery it takes to be respected and admired by the target industry.

Investors back domain expertise and work ethic, they don’t give money out for us all to go ‘hacking’.

Ed Clarke is a seasoned technology expert and investor, and proven deliverer of rapid growth and expansion. He is the Co-Founder of ASX listed Yojee where he is joined by one of the regions most experienced and successful technology guys and blockchain expert Andras Kristof, and seasoned international Supply Chain experts Ray Lee and Robert Comley.
    Last edited by nickdany123: 27/02/18

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add YOJ (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
6.2¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $15.60M
Open High Low Value Volume
6.2¢ 6.2¢ 6.1¢ $15.85K 259.0K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 148268 5.9¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
6.2¢ 29150 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 29/03/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
6.1¢
  Change
0.000 ( 1.67 %)
Open High Low Volume
6.1¢ 6.3¢ 6.1¢ 32817
Last updated 14.50pm 29/03/2024 ?
YOJ (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.