AMA 7.69% 4.2¢ ama group limited

Blackstone has lobbed another takeover bid for an Australian...

1. 80 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 23
    Blackstone has lobbed another takeover bid for an Australian company, this time a $3bn bid to buy IOF, an REIT with a decent office portfolio. The IOF directors are supporting the bid which includes a 10% premium to the previous closing price. As a result, IOF jumped 13% today after going nowhere for the past couple of years.

AMA, a bit like IOF, has gone nowhere for the past three years. Without knowing the ins and outs of the bid to buy IOF, I cannot help but draw a negative comparison with the bid to buy AMA. The bid not only has no premium built in - it practically suggests a negative premium (call it a discount). The bid is conditional on a demerger and is set up to cherry pick the most lucrative part of AMA, with no regard for the other 15% of the business or a final dividend to shareholders for the past year's operations. AMA is devalued by the market as a result.

Blackstone is said to have $450bn worth of investments under management. Their $0.5bn bid for 85% of AMA represents one tenth of one percent of their current asset base. This lowball offer has knocked 20% off the AMA share price since March and I am totally at a loss to understand why the AMA directors would support it and recommend it to shareholders. In my opinion, they should be re-evaluating the deal and doing what the STO directors did in a similar situation, which is to recognize a grab for what it is and reject it.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AMA (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
4.2¢
Change
0.003(7.69%)
Mkt cap ! $75.86M
Open High Low Value Volume
3.8¢ 4.6¢ 3.8¢ $287.3K 6.733M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 75000 4.1¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
4.2¢ 182089 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 19/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
AMA (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.