There are a number of things I like about the USA. The country...

1. 1,279 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 310
    There are a number of things I like about the USA.

The country is beautiful and in general the people are friendly and very polite. It is an interesting place to visit and there is much for a tourist (pre covid) to see and do. I like America.

Therefore, I do get somewhat saddened watching the decline of this previously great country and seeing it implode on so many fronts.

The country is divided, its politics both domestically and internationally are not doing well. The diminishment of its prestige on the world stage is evident and much of this comes from portraying itself as the world leader while at the same time it seems to be unable to govern itself effectively.

Which brings me to America's response to Covid-19. While many American commentators have the hubris to decry restrictions on freedom and liberty through lockdowns, masks and restrictions on gatherings, it is somewhat ironic that they have the highest number of Covid cases and also the highest number of deaths. The numbers are also accelerating with cases regularly in excess of 100,000 per day.
    There have now been 240,000 deaths attributed to the effects of Covid and it is this number which has me caused me concern.
    Just for interest, American deaths during the entire involvement of WWII was 405,000 and yet now the Covid deaths is more than half of that figure in a mere 9 months. The 10 years of the Vietnam war had casualties of 60,000. How can the authorities not be more alarmed and proactive in their response?

Complain about Australia's response and actions if you want but the figures speak for themselves. In terms of preservation of life and minimisation of spread, Australia has done a wonderful job with a total number of cases which is one quarter of what America has in one day and total deaths at one 240th of the American total.

I hope the Americans can get their act together. The people there deserve so much better.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.