MND 2.82% $12.76 monadelphous group limited

An Embarrasment of Riches, page-14

1. 744 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 238
    Respectfully, I think that misses the point.

Benchmarking against a pretty crappy sample is no measure of stewardship of the issue capital of a business.

I beg to differ as I don't think I missed any point.

When I compare MND's track record to other ASX companies, I'm not only comparing it to the likes of serial new shares issuer such as BOL, but also to companies that are long term excess capital generators. For the purpose of illustrating my point, I'll choose 2 companies only, ARB and ONT.

Everybody's favourite ARB:
    In 2004, there were 63.2 million shares. In 2016, there are 79.1 million shares. An increase of 25%.
    ARB likes to declare fully-underwritten special dividend every 5 years. For a company that is a serious generator of surplus capital and which doesn't really need the new capital, why bother?

ONT:
    In 2005, there were 18.8 million shares. In 2016, there are 23.6 million shares. An increase of 25%.
    As with ARB, strictly speaking, it can be argued that ONT didn't really need to issue these new shares. It can comfortably fund all of its bolt-on acquisitions using its operating cashflows.

I hope we can agree that these 2 companies are not crappy at all. The fact is these 2 companies that I believe you are also a shareholder of, also increased its number of shares, for no good reason.

My point is, it is hard to find investment grade companies in the stock market that tick all of our requirement boxes. There will always be some aspects of the company that we don't like. Our goal is to find companies which, overall, can tick most of our boxes.

In terms of incentivisation equity, I'm a huge fan on skin in the game, so I'm not opposed to equity participation plans for those in our company who add value, but it strikes me as totally incongruous that we today sit with a bank account stuffed with cash (embarrassment of riches, remember?), and at the same time there is today 20% more equity that participates in the fruits of the business, and which will do so to perpetuity.

As I said in my earlier post, I prefer to invest companies that don't employ any equity incentive plan. The reason for this is because I believe that the benefit of equity incentive plan is too over-rated. There are many companies that don't employ any equity incentive plan at all whose performance is much better than those that do use equity incentive plan. Some names that spring into mind include ARB, REH, NCK.

What, then, do you think they will do with the cash, in that case? (not a facetious question, but quite a legitimate one, because I'm at a loss s to the answer.)

I really hope that they'd do a special dividend and/or a share buyback.

At the end of the day, I still believe that all of these "negatives", big and small, are still negated by the value on offer.

------

It's fun to have someone whose points of view are different from ours in certain aspects, and yet have the same conclusion to buy. Someone in the MSB thread should read this conversation of ours and learn to respect each other's opinion.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MND (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.