BKL 0.00% $94.73 blackmores limited

an instructive case study, page-10

1. 166 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 267
    Legume,

Sounds like you've got a bit of a chip on your shoulder regarding that product. Although the results certainly look questionable, that doesn't mean Blackmores is a bad business.

Firstly, a fair amount of Blackmores products are quite useful. I use Vitamin D supplements, because my indoor job means I don't get enough sun. I have the blood tests to show they help. I also use protein powder because I do weights frequently, but don't always eat enough meat.

Sure, with some changes to my lifestyle I could fix these issues, but I like my lifestyle the way it is! I'd rather just pay a bit of money on supplements rather than change the lifestyle I'm happy with. It's a convenience thing, hunting around for flowers while chewing on garlic doesn't really appeal to me, even if it is the more economically sensible thing to do.

And secondly, just because the science/technical proves that the product isn't good, doesn't mean it doesn't sell. Apple products for example are over-priced and underpowered. I own many Apple and Android devices because I develop software on them part-time, and Apple just isn't all that good of a product once you get past the presentation. And yet it's one of the most valuable companies in the world. Not the most relevant of examples I guess, but the point is clear.

A fool and his money are easily parted, and I think you'll agree that there are a lot of fools out there in the world. And there always will be, no matter how many scientific studies are done and published. I stopped trying to "force" science down people's throats long ago, people will just do what they do and science will march along just fine behind the scenes.

I should also add that I am a man of science, I have a university degree in Biology, so I do like to see things being scientifically verified. But the land of economics is a world away from good science.

In general I'm happy to keep holding Blackmores. I bought in at a good price and the dividends have been good to me. I do agree that it seems to be losing steam, but I think you could do a lot worse than this company (as long as you buy at a sensible price, it's a bit expensive right now).

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BKL (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.