analysis: powell's speech and the iraqi end game, page-32

1. 13,013 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 99
    re: b&b analysis:pst. a bit of juicy rw gossip pow Mr Jones, it amuses me that you, who seems to pride himself so much on his intellectual superiority, finds the Sheridan article so excellent.

Yes, the article is indeed a mastepiece. A masterpiece of the most amazing wooly thinking. For example, Mr Sheridan raises the straw dog of Anti Americanism. I think you'll find that most Australians have no problem with Americans and love much of the life style they have assimilated (as Mr Sheridan delights in pointing out). However, Australians are able to discriminate (sorry Mr Sheridan, we're not such stupid lefties as you seem to think) between the country and its foreign policy. Australians are not prepared to swalow pap when they can sense the rancid undertones.

Perhaps also you can tell me why the right seem to find such solace in God and the use of His Name. Why is that they do their best to force their religious affiliations into matters of state. I do believe you yourself have even expressed disquiet at such encroachments.

Mr Sheridan even talks about the psychology of the baby boomers and suggests that perhaps they haven't quite grown up yet and are rebelling against mum and dad but I put it to you that what they are rebelling against is the concept that the US should be considered as mum and dad in the first place. This seems to be the valid assumption that Sheridan is making in the first place. Can this be true? Don't we impose limits for example on foreign programming in our television. Don't we attempt to protect ourselves by limiting foreign ownership of our media? I think Australians quite rightly wish to preserve their heritage and if that means fighting agaisnt US style homeland security laws well and good.

It seems to me what the right find hardest of all to tolerate is not actually running the show. You guys are really pissed off that the majority of Australians are sceptical about going to war. That your highly (self)valued views do not prevail. It burns you up no end when Phillip Adams laughs outright at you. Well, long may he laugh...

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.