APG 0.00% 0.2¢ austpac resources nl

I thought I'd have a browse through Onesteel's environmental...

1. 1,858 Posts.
    I thought I'd have a browse through Onesteel's environmental licensing documentation to see whether there are any push indicators for them to use the services of APG.

It doesn't spell out how much spent pickle liquor they produce, although there is mention of an acid treatment plant. I take that to mean they neutralise the SPL with lime before land disposal of iron hydroxide sludge and discharge of remaining liquid. Could be wrong.

They've had a number of exceedances, including iron 10x the permitted concentration in waste water and effluent too acidic.

If that's how they do it, they are paying for lime and landfill, losing the iron value and not getting any fresh pickle liquor in return. They are also risking further exceedances. It would also be politically untenable for Onesteel to continue along those lines when there is a treatment plant just across the Hunter!

On the broader picture, it is interesting that US steel mills are often permitted exemptions to pump spent liquor (which is classed as a hazardous waste) into underground wells. eg AK Steel can dispose of 50,000 litres waste per day down a hole!

Perhaps MT should be spruiking to the US EPA and environmental groups in mill towns.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add APG (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.