Andrews re-elected with Labor majority, page-393

1. 17,335 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 325
    you responded as if you know what I think It’s what they call a leading question but it won’t get agreement from me

absolutely I agree with the idea of personal responsibility. I have a particular dislike for lazy scammers, people who take advantage of others and people who expect something for nothing.

but the idea that one might have compassion and empathy for those not endowed with our character, circumstances, good fortune or whatever is hardly new. It is deeply rooted in our Christian traditions.

philosophically libertarianism seems reasonable and in some forms does not rule out at all my view of a compassionate society. I have little time for a society in which individual interests outweigh community and while one might like the idea of a society which is self correcting and self monitoring and can properly judge what is unjust I fear not all have the morality to make that work. Those in politics who happily pillage in their own interests will do the same in other settings. What is just or unjust, where is the rightful place of governments or constraint on individuals.

in other words I think that while it might appear to be a neat position to adopt it seems deeply flawed to me as a principle for running society

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.