TZN 0.00% 3.0¢ terramin australia limited.

angas meetings approval looking better

1. buk
    45 Posts.
    'No health risk in mine'
    By SOPHIE WANDEL
    Friday, 30 June 2006

STRATHALBYN - Lead from the proposed zinc mine near Strathalbyn will not be a health risk for children if appropriate monitoring and work practices are carried out.

Dr David Simon from the Department of Health gave this assurance at the Strathalbyn Community Consultative Committee (SCCC) meeting last week.

Health risks have had the community concerned ever since the project was proposed by Terramin Australia.

The project is to mine zinc, lead and silver about 1km from the town.

Dr Simon, who is responsible for the lead health program at Port Pirie, spoke at the SCCC meeting and at a session with the Eastern Fleurieu School.

SCCC chair, Dean Brown, said the general consensus of both meetings was that blood lead levels of children should not be tested.

"Instead there should be comprehensive testing for lead dust adjacent to the mine and at locations around the town.

"Children absorb the lead from lead dust in and around the home, by licking dirty fingers," Mr Brown said.

Dr Simon said it was more appropriate to test for environmental lead dust than to test the blood of 0-2 year old babies.

"He said the greatest risk of lead intake around Strathalbyn was from old household paint that contained lead," Mr Brown said.

"Dr Simon highlighted to the meetings, the major differences between Port Pirie and Strathalbyn.

"The Port Pirie lead problems came from the smelter, but there would be no smelter built at Strathalbyn.

"The entire life of the mine at Strathalbyn produces less lead than Port Pirie handles in one month," said Mr Brown.

All mine and process workers will be required to shower and change into clean clothes before leaving the mine site and the work clothes will be laundered on site.

The sixth SCCC meeting was held last night and discussed geotechnical and blasting issues. See next week's edition of The Times for details.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TZN (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
3.0¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $63.49M
Open High Low Value Volume
0.0¢ 0.0¢ 0.0¢ $0 0

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 100000 2.9¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
3.4¢ 200000 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.12pm 09/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
TZN (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.