Angry old white Australian male and proud of it!, page-28

1. 36,109 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4

I think you're on the money PS.

It is my view that the people in question use their ' anger ' as a defensive tactic. When they are feeling insecure, for whatever reason, they use attack as their defense. A bit like bullying really. We know that bullies are mostly driven by fear.

I don't think it's their fault btw. I think it's how they were brought up. How society taught them to behave.

When you think about it, in the old days bullying was ok. Belittling people was ok. Even cool really. Watch a movie from the 60s, 70s or 80s sometime. Quite often the hero is a bit of an Ahole.

If you look at how the shockjocks operate, many who are older males, they tend to use the shouty style as opposed to the more composed argument style. They try to belittle their opponents rather than debate them.

Nowadays we understand that bullying is not cool.

If you've had a lifetime of behaviour, it would be very hard to recognise that is no longer acceptable.

The proof to me in this is that it is not all older people behave this way. They all grew up in the same era. All had pretty much the same opportunities. Many older people don't act this way so I can only assume that they have more confidence in their opinions. They don't seem to lash out when criticised. They just respond with a considered response. The silent majority maybe ?

As a self acclaimed white older male, what's your opinion on that theory ?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.