I know what survivorship bias is, hence my response "Propaganda...

1. 518 Posts.
    I know what survivorship bias is, hence my response "Propaganda belief/blindness?"

Having experienced it first hand with my youngest daughter, I agree whooping cough is the pits and I'm sure you're right about it being far worse for babies.

BUT the whooping cough vaccine isn't doing the job though even though there is a 95% take-up rate here in Aus, what are your thoughts about that? http://www.abc.net.au/health/thepulse/stories/2012/08/14/3567495.htm

"Whooping cough is something of an immunisation conundrum.

A highly contagious disease, caused by the bacterium Bordetella pertussis, whooping cough is known for its severe coughing attacks with a characteristic 'whoop' at the end. You can get it at any age, but for the very young it can be deadly.

In Australia the take-up rate of the pertussis vaccine is very high, with around 95 per cent of children receiving the full three doses of vaccine by age two (at two, four and six months).

However, pertussis infections in all age groups are once again on the increase globally. Australia recorded 38,000 cases in 2011, the highest number since records began in 1991 and most states are only now recovering from a major epidemic that began in 2008.
    So if immunisation programs have been successful, why is whooping cough still a problem?"

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.