WFD 0.00% $8.84 westfield corporation

I hold WFD and, frankly, I am worried. I look at shopping malls...

1. 2,000 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 27
    I hold WFD and, frankly, I am worried. I look at shopping malls everywhere (yes, I travel to the USA often) and note the drift away from the megamalls and back into "village" shopping areas. Two reasons I can see: it has now become just as arduous to access the shopping malls as it was in the CBD (parking, traffic, etc) - one of the drivers for shopping malls - and the offering is very vanilla.

Patronage at the malls will still be highly visible - after all not everyone can shop at specialty and boutique stores - but will it be enough to ensure a good return for the mall owners? I wonder. Of course, in all this we still see excitement at new malls, like Stratford in London, opening and there will always be a base demand.

On top of this is the exchange rate. Its a complete furphy that the A$ is now hurting WFD: it became focussed on the international market in mid 2014 (the "split" was 30 June 2014) when the $A was trading at around US$0.93 and WFD's SP was circa $7.50. As the aussie went down, WFD went up. At its peak (Feb - Apr, '15)the SP was around $10 (ignoring short term highs to $10.30+) and the aussie was US$0.76 - 78, about the same as now. Current price weakness is unlikely to have anything to do with the exchange rate and everything to do with sentiment.e

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WFD (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.