KOV 1.48% $8.89 korvest ltd

Ann: 30 June 2022 Annual Results - Press Release, page-5

1. 16,517 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8048
    They keep getting their results out earlier each year, which reinforces that not only is it a really uncomplicated operating business, but that the internal accounting system is on-point .... an important tool for financial control and for the company's managers to remain on top of the issues at all times (which self-evidently is the case).

Often, a financial result that comes out at 5:00pm on a Friday afternoon - when everyone has gone mouse-down - contains bad news that management might want to attempt to slip under the radar.

Not KOV.

For it was indeed a quite stellar result; indeed like no other KOV result before it:

KOV NPAT2022.JPG

As part of the continual learning process, I always find it instructive to review my file notes for stocks I've researched.

A few years ago I thought that, when the recovery in KOV's EBIT Margin and ROE occurred, it might look something like this:

So EBIT Margin getting back to 9% and ROE close to 15% was my central scenario at the time of the formulation of those charts.

Well, forward to today, and I find that the EBIT Margin is 15% and ROE is 26% [*]...  I was not even close! (When I do get them wrong in the future, would that I get them wrong in the same way that I've got KOV wrong!)

[*] And bear in mind, that 26% ROE is generated despite a very lazy capital structure. The balance sheet could easily be geared to generate even higher ROE, if the board was of such a mind (and I'm glad it isn't given the highly cyclical nature of the business).

And it was not just excellent at the headline accounting profit level - which, recall, had been flagged a few weeks ago - but also in terms of the strong cash flow generated;  despite a very substantial inventory build (which I think is most prudent given the  supply chain challenges, and especially the sizeable pipeline of work that lies ahead.)

Over the past 12 months, KOV management increased inventory by a highly significant 64%, from $12.4m to $20.5m, so more than an $8m increase.  Despite that, the company still generated $4.0m in Operating Cash Flow and $2m in Free Cash Flow.

Specifically, in the second half, the company's net cash balance rose by $1.0m, despite $2.8m investment in extra inventory, as well as a $2.9m dividend having being paid.

Such is the organic capital generation of the business.  

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add KOV (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$8.89
Change
0.130(1.48%)
Mkt cap ! $103.8M
Open High Low Value Volume
$8.88 $8.92 $8.88 $8.364K 941

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 2000 $8.80

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$8.89 1000 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 10.26am 28/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
KOV (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.