KOV 0.11% $8.94 korvest ltd

They keep getting their results out earlier each year, which...

1. 16,507 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8040
    They keep getting their results out earlier each year, which reinforces that not only is it a really uncomplicated operating business, but that the internal accounting system is on-point .... an important tool for financial control and for the company's managers to remain on top of the issues at all times (which self-evidently is the case).

Often, a financial result that comes out at 5:00pm on a Friday afternoon - when everyone has gone mouse-down - contains bad news that management might want to attempt to slip under the radar.

Not KOV.

For it was indeed a quite stellar result; indeed like no other KOV result before it:

KOV NPAT2022.JPG

As part of the continual learning process, I always find it instructive to review my file notes for stocks I've researched.

A few years ago I thought that, when the recovery in KOV's EBIT Margin and ROE occurred, it might look something like this:

So EBIT Margin getting back to 9% and ROE close to 15% was my central scenario at the time of the formulation of those charts.

Well, forward to today, and I find that the EBIT Margin is 15% and ROE is 26% [*]...  I was not even close! (When I do get them wrong in the future, would that I get them wrong in the same way that I've got KOV wrong!)

[*] And bear in mind, that 26% ROE is generated despite a very lazy capital structure. The balance sheet could easily be geared to generate even higher ROE, if the board was of such a mind (and I'm glad it isn't given the highly cyclical nature of the business).

And it was not just excellent at the headline accounting profit level - which, recall, had been flagged a few weeks ago - but also in terms of the strong cash flow generated;  despite a very substantial inventory build (which I think is most prudent given the  supply chain challenges, and especially the sizeable pipeline of work that lies ahead.)

Over the past 12 months, KOV management increased inventory by a highly significant 64%, from $12.4m to $20.5m, so more than an $8m increase.  Despite that, the company still generated $4.0m in Operating Cash Flow and $2m in Free Cash Flow.

Specifically, in the second half, the company's net cash balance rose by $1.0m, despite $2.8m investment in extra inventory, as well as a $2.9m dividend having being paid.

Such is the organic capital generation of the business.  

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add KOV (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$8.94
Change
0.010(0.11%)
Mkt cap ! $104.4M
Open High Low Value Volume
$9.00 $9.00 $8.79 $278.7K 31.26K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 3 $8.83

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$8.95 1472 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 15.57pm 21/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
KOV (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.