VUK 0.00% $4.22 virgin money uk plc

HI @Just_a_guy re: CAKE; the most extraordinary company collapse...

1. 307 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 21
    HI @Just_a_guy
    re: CAKE; the most extraordinary company collapse I have seen, I think, in my more than 2 decades in the markets. the financials/story was almost pristine - yet out of the blue (there was no short interest) - we're told it might be worth unable to continue trading. studying the accounts to look for warning signs would be a challenging test for any fundamental analyst to test their mettle. I was aware of a couple of warning signs - but they were of the pretty minor kind, and I had largely discounted them. Everything else looked good (except share price). I have yet to seen any analyst/pundit explain what has happened, and how the FD did it. Analysing those accounts looking for the big black hole that is in there somewhere would be a v. good test for any analyst - even in hindsight - and it is a hell of a lot harder when you don't already know before you start that there is actually a huge black hole there somewhere!

I didn't have a large holding - the fact it was so highly rated prevented me from buying more. I would have otherwise - and my loss would have been greater! I had written it all off - but chair is attempting a rescue - so it might still have some value (v. much impaired though).

All in all, I think it is a valuable yet painful lesson to diversify. Despite the people (including Buffett) who endorse concentrated investing, and that diversifcation is only necessary for the ignorant, I still think broad diversification is essential. I do so, and CAKE experience demonstrates why private investors need to. all IMHO.

VLE is exceptional. and still cheap and almost fully in cash.! ABDP too going v. well. Most of the other UK stuff is doing ok for me, but valuations are not low. There is more value emerging though, I think, but suspect we get much more volatility etc from here

sorry, I haven't looked at EQN, or telcos. I used to work in telcos (years ago, in the glory days) , and I avoid investing in that sector now.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add VUK (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.