TFL 9.09% 1.0¢ tasfoods limited

Ann: Acquisition of The Van Diemen's Land Company, page-11

1. 65 Posts.
    Lots to respond to here. I am no Bellamy's expert (unfortunately I missed investing in it), so bear this in mind with any observations. A very, very quick read of the Bellamy's prospectus reveals it is an 'asset light' model, it relies solely on Tatura Milk Industries for its baby formula. Now, Tatura is a subsidiary of Bega, who now is also interested in releasing a baby formula (JV with Blackmores), which may pose a risk to Bellamys (no formal supply contract in place). So where does this leave ONC / TasFoods? Well, I would presume over time, it will try and extricate itself from its low-value milk supply contracts with the supermarkets and start 'value-adding' to manufacture cheese, baby formula, etc.. This will most likely require capital, but it is in a fantastic position due to 1) being publicly listed (access to capital); 2) being located in Tasmania (water rights, less sensitive to El Nino); 3) potential for govt. subsidies, etc..

Now onto valuation which is very tricky. Previously, it was said that ~$50m in the acquisition price will be contributed to working capital, this implies the price for assets was ~$200m. Market cap of ~$260m on current earnings of ~$4m (including Meander assets) looks steep, but this is the current snapshot and now what the company will be in ~5 years. Really need a prospectus to accurately gauge this (due in December - Christmas reading).

I am thinking this is a company that has been starved of capital and now has a very, very experienced management team who already has significant dairy production at its disposal (operational experience and no greenfield risk). This is a fantastic example of being the 'food bowl' for Asia / China and it might be worth tipping in a few dollars as close to 25c as you can (because there are 1bn shares at this price). That will be my strategy.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TFL (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.