AGL 1.14% $10.67 agl energy limited.

Ann: AGL FY18 interim results and affirmation of FY18 guidance, page-147

1. 3,114 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 87
    It seems we were/are on different wavelengths – I wasn’t fully engaged in the thread and my original post may have landed in a mini war. What you write about basic economics, the market and the legal framework is a given. I understand and agree in general. There are many caveats when talking about economics and free markets and while we do not have Marxist economy, we do not have a free market either of course. I presume you understand this and am not going to go into the details.

I was thinking beyond to the overall good and the two are not the same. The market does not always get it right, and although government intervention is dangerous because it often makes things worse, proper regulation and intervention is sometimes required for the overall benefit.

I think all would agree that it is best to optimise resources for the overall good while also allowing individual entities through innovation and increased productivity to gain maximum benefit for themselves.

So when it comes to locking up scarce resources to benefit one entity at the cost of everybody else: while this is perfectly legal; and I have seen this done; and have effectively done this myself in the past; I remain against it in principle.

A ‘use it or lose it’ / ‘use it or sell it’ system is better when it comes to companies taking capacity off market, locking up or destroying limited or scarce resources for their benefit alone.

If AGL isn’t doing this as you suggest then great. I wish them well either way as I hold AGL although I did reduce substantially at recent highs.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AGL (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$10.67
Change
0.120(1.14%)
Mkt cap ! $7.178B
Open High Low Value Volume
$10.59 $10.74 $10.57 $34.55M 3.234M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 6913 $10.67

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$10.68 3885 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 24/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
AGL (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.