WEB 1.48% $8.65 webjet limited

Nice pickup @chicago_kiwi. To condense a few thoughts in one...

1. 413 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 214
    Nice pickup @chicago_kiwi. To condense a few thoughts in one post:

I agree with@AInvestor, around $7 seems the price point for a long time. That's no criticism. I think to achieve that price is fantastic after what WEB has been through, the work they've done to come back at all after Covid, let alone come back so strongly. The pandemic is a memory now, but remember it wasn't so long ago that the idea of WEB going broke – along with many airlines and travel companies – was not far-fetched, it was a very real possibility. I loaded up at the 2020 CR and in the weeks following but knew it was a complete gamble, as I could well lose all my money in a matter of weeks or months if things went badly. And they seemed to be going very, very badly. Lots of sleepless nights, I can tell you. So, personally, I'm delighted with the company's performance and share price. WEB is one of my long-term holds.

The reason I'm long-term on WEB is that I think a takeover is still possible. Remember that just before the pandemic hit, WEB was being courted by several international companies and talks were underway (i.e, it wasn't just media speculation and tyre-kickers). Among the suitors was HotelBeds, the Spanish company that has the world's #1 hotel bank. #2 is WebBeds, with the stated and achievable goal of getting the top place. I think and hope that an acquisition of WEB is as desirable now as it was then, for the same reasons. Actually, it's even more attractive now with the post-pandemic reset of the businesses and the gains it has made in all spheres.

My alternative hope to a takeover of WEB is a merger between WEB and Flight Centre. I think this makes sense on all levels. Other than lower costs from joining forces and reduced marketing dollars spent on competing against each other, the combined company could become a true international player, up with the big guns like Expedia. Flight Centre has the physical travel centres and loyal customer base. WEB has the digital space and the great success that HotelBeds has become. Together, I think it would be terrific and deliver solid, sustainable returns to shareholders, together with an instant and durable share price rise.

In either case, or if neither happens, I'm a happy holder.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WEB (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$8.65
Change
-0.130(1.48%)
Mkt cap ! $3.362B
Open High Low Value Volume
$8.77 $8.77 $8.65 $11.25M 1.296M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 4080 $8.64

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$8.65 30465 4
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 28/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$8.66
  Change
-0.130 ( 1.09 %)
Open High Low Volume
$8.77 $8.77 $8.65 753088
Last updated 15.59pm 28/05/2024 ?
WEB (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.