ANNOUNCEMENT SPONSORED BY PLUS500
CFD TRADING PLATFORM
CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
ANNOUNCEMENT SPONSORED BY PLUS500
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
  1. 1,868 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 431
    I was continually asked through email why I posted my thoughts by die hard AWC holders...so these are a more in depth reasoning as to why I said .30 lower from where I posted...

EBITDA of US$262m was down materially in the March quarter, versus US$503m in December.

Lower second-quarter EBITDA of US$10m, due to reduced volumes as a result of ceasing sales from the Juruti operations to Russian customers.

Alumina costs rose US$44per tonne(t) quarter-on-quarter(QoQ).

Alcoa flagged another US$85m (US$26/t) lift in the second quarter, with two thirds related to San Ciprian energy prices, taking unit costs above US$310/t versus our previous US$270/t estimate.

Overall, the significant step-up in costs, combined with a lower alumina price forecast for 2022 (to US$400/t versus US$461/t previously) has reduced our net profit forecast by 59% to US$255m.

Combined EBITDA for Alcoa’s bauxite and alumina divisions (representative of AWAC, Alumina 40% share) of US$300m were well below the pin th tail on the donkey forecasts.

My focus was on the US$44/t step-up in costs to US$288/t, US$30/t higher than I thought.

Revenue was also US$40/t lower than my estimate, with the one-month lagged alumina price of US$373/t materially lower than 4Q21 (US$412/t) and 1Q22 (US$421/t) than my numbers used to approximate it based on a one-third/two-thirds split.

Despite lower earnings, distributions of US$141m so far in 2022 I thought it was a good result.

I posted previously in the forum that if it was .30 lower then it is a buy...but that is as far as I am concerned with my money...not yours...!!!

Industry-wide cost inflation, and European power price increases (San Ciprian contribution was two thirds of this) have led Alcoa to point to another US$26/t increase in refining costs next quarter.

This implies around US$315/t.
    This would be the highest on record by some margin, and is over US$100/t higher than levels 18 months ago.

So possibly US$400/t this year (down (S$60/t) following the sharp drop in prices over the past month.

AWAC’s cost increases are related largely to non-controllable factors, but nevertheless they will weigh on consensus and more importantly
    sentiment...
    However I think spot alumina at US$370/t is now at cost curve support, and the weak share price has appropriately factored in the negative news in this announcement.
    Is it a buy around the 1.70...yes I think so and thats where I will be buying heavily if it ever gets to that point...possibly a little higher pricing but I will wait I out and see....

Hope this helps...
    All the best to long term holders...
    RDD

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AWC (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.