ARB 0.74% $47.85 arb corporation limited.

Hello @zaidi675 I expect that ARB has current (trailing)...

ANNOUNCEMENT SPONSORED BY PLUS500
CFD TRADING PLATFORM
CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
  1. 4,286 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 465
    Hello @zaidi675

I expect that ARB has current (trailing) earnings power to current market cap (about $1,500m, @ $18.9 per share) of about 3.1% or 3.2% (1). Or said differently, I think ARB is generating a trailing earnings yield of about 3.1% to 3.2%.

If I assign some value to franking credits (2) then I'm willing to say that ARB is currently generating a trailing somewhat grossed up earnings yield of about 3.4% to 3.6%.

With a 5 year view of growth, I expect a prospective earnings yield (similarly grossed up) of somewhere between 4.9% and 6.3% (3).

However, to assign no value to growth beyond year 5, for one of the greatest compounding machines in Australia, would be completely unfair. Without getting into a lot of detail, if I assume that each dollar retained by the company generates about $1.7 dollars of value, then I get that the total prospective return (including growth beyond year 5) is somewhere in the range 6.1% to 7.9%. I think of this as an expected return of about 7.0% (the mid point), with a somewhat pessimistic prospect of only 6.1%.

I don't think that's a terrible prospect, especially when I think about the capital gains tax I will incur when I sell (which I did when I sold a little about 6 weeks ago). But I also don't think it's a particularly enticing prospect.

I think if I could purchase ARB with an expected return of about 9.5% and a somewhat pessimistic return of at least 7.0%, then it would be an attractive prospect. To achieve this, according to my numbers, we would require a share price of about $13. This price would correspond with a trailing earnings yield of about 4.7% (a PE of about 21).

Cheers, Mars

(1): This is based on cash earnings (ie after expensing all R&D), and is based on earnings from sales only (which is how I usually like to think about earnings).

(2): Though not acknowledging the full face value of them. After all, who knows how much longer we will have the benefit of a full tax refund on imputation credits.

(3): This is what I call the present value of earnings, divided by the current market cap (hence a "yield"), with a 5 year view (so ignoring any growth beyond year 5). So it can be thought of as a prospective return which ignores the value of any growth beyond year 5.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ARB (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.