ARB 0.74% $47.85 arb corporation limited.

"Firstly, as you probably know by now, I am not prone to...

ANNOUNCEMENT SPONSORED BY PLUS500
CFD TRADING PLATFORM
CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
  1. 16,933 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8392
    "Firstly, as you probably know by now, I am not prone to thinking in terms of EBITDA. I particularly have a problem with it when there are substantial R&D costs being capitalised. These capitalised costs only have a hope of being reflected at the bottom line via the "A". ARB has been hitting its R&D lever increasingly hard, and its capitalised component has been increasingly exceeding its amortisation expense. As such, EBITDA is particulalry non-conservative, in this regard."

@MarsC,

Sure, EV/EBITDA as a valuation measure, is a crude one, not much better in terms of its refinement as "P/E".

Indeed, as you know, I've on occasion acknowledged that not all EBITDAs are made equal (for the very reasons you've cited, and more) and that they need to be given a good sanitising in order to be able to be legitimately compared from one business to another.

And, clearly, an EV/EBITDA of ARB is a totally different quality EV/EBITDA to a more capital-intensive, business with highly variable financial performance, such as, say BSL, or BHP.

Like you, I am also a Free Cash Flow Yield investor.

Trouble is, deriving Free Cash Flow requires the ability to discern what stay-in-business capex is, and well as having an understanding of the investment required in working capital (which, in my experience, is often a material quantum, yet is often not considered by investors[*]).

These required insights don't come without some analytical effort (and a dose of "good engineering assumption", to boot).

So, yes, Free Cash Flow is the "pure" valuation approach.
    But the cost of that purity is a degree of effort and research.

By contrast P/E and EV/EBITDA can be calculated solely on numbers that are reported.

Which is why the default valuation "ready reckoners" tend to be a combination of P/E and EV/EBITDA (the former because it captures non-operating items such as tax and interest expense, as well as accounting treatment in the case of D and A, and the latter because it captures major differences in capital structures)

As for comparing with cash earning yields with low-risk alternatives, yes that is theoretically what the market tries to do to.

But the problem with that is that there are a number of indeterminate moving parts, not least of which is guessing the right level of the thing that is being used as a reference point (i.e., low-risk, or risk-free, interest rates), which is subject to change over time.

Not just that, but when we compare the cash earnings yield for ARB with, say, the 10-year government bond yield, we are effectively comparing something with a growing income stream (hence, increasing cash earnings yield) with something that merely has a fixed income stream.

So, sure ARB's 3.0% to 3.5% Free Cash Flow yield today might look skinny compared to the prevailing rates offered by low-risk alternatives. But when viewed in terms of a prospective five-year investment time horizon, the picture is likely to look somewhat different, ceteris paribus.

[*] As case in point, ARB has invested more than $100m in Stock and Receivables over the past decade. For context, total investment in PP&E over that period amounted to $200m, so the working capital demands for ARB are a significant factor in deriving FCF. For greater context, the working capital investment ARB has to make is equivalent to a not-immaterial 25% of Operating Cash Flow.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ARB (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$47.85
Change
0.350(0.74%)
Mkt cap ! $3.939B
Open High Low Value Volume
$47.33 $48.03 $47.11 $5.568M 116.8K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 506 $47.73

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$47.99 235 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 01/10/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
ARB (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.